Saturday, November 3, 2012

Thanks for Giving Me That Kind of Love

As I was wrapping a birthday present for one of Dexter's friends, Dexter was playing on the floor with his trailers and matchbox cars.  "I can't get the three wheeled car out of the trailer.  Will you please help me, Mommy?" I said "sure" and went over to jimmy the car out of the trailer. After I successfully removed the jammed car, Dexter smiled and said, "Thanks for giving me that kind of love, Mommy.  Now get out of the way so this trailer can bring the cars to the garage."

I was so impressed that he recognized my responsiveness to his request as an expression of love.  I was also impressed with his ability to clearly communicate that I then needed to get out of his way so he could continue his "work" (I did, in fact, get right out of his way despite my urge to smother him in hugs). It gave me a hook for thinking about my trial research or dissertation: The Role of Perceived Love in Scaffolding Agency (or something like that).  Thanks Dexy!

No comments: