Saturday, January 24, 2009

My New Best Friend


Oh, Cabbage. Who knew I would come to love you so much...I can't eat you now that I'm breastfeeding but I promise not to ever again forsake you for bok choy.

Yesterday, I had my first plugged duct in my breast. Half of the breast got really hard and hot and red. It felt tender and, when breastfeeding, like a long rusty needle stabbing straight up my breast. I tried all the tricks in the book (literally): lots of breastfeeding, massage, warm compress, increasing liquid intake to no avail. Ready to try anything to improve the situation, I sent Ben off to the grocery store at 9pm for a head of cabbage. Elissa had told me that putting crumpled cabbage leaves on the breast could unclog a duct. Sure enough, I spent a half hour with cabbage on my boob, took a hot, hot, hot shower and then let Dexter go to town and he sucked that clog free! There will never not be cabbage in my fridge from now on.

No comments: