Thursday, March 29, 2012

Bedtime Shenanigans

I have come to dread bedtime lately. Dexter now has an hour-long routine that he goes through before finally nodding off. Bedtime shenanigans include:

* Demanding milk/water/juice (I give him water only, and only if he's lying down in bed)
* Demanding that I change his knickers (diapers)
* Asking to go on the potty (we have been doing potty training lately so he knows that we want him to go on the potty)
* Insisting he wants to sleep sitting up and then screaming that he needs my help to lie down as soon as I leave his room
* Insisting he wants to sleep on the floor and then screaming that he needs my help to get back into bed as soon as I leave his room
* Saying, "You need to take care of me, Mommy"
* Saying, "I need help closing my eyes."
* Insisting on turning his light on and then crying for me to come in and turn off his light
* Asking Mommy to put his blanket back on
* Declaring he wants to sleep on his back when I suggest he curl up on his side with Quackers and then calling me back into his room to help him turn onto his side
* Saying his finger hurts and Mommy needs to kiss it

When I think about all the big changes he's been going through lately, I guess I should appreciate that he's working through some ambivalence about becoming a "big boy". But I have to admit it's exhausting to go through this rigamarole every night.

1 comment:

ashley said...

I just about spit out my drink when I read. "I need help closing my eyes" I like that one. He is too funny!